Sunday, April 26, 2009

The sense of adventure....











Last summer I read one of the most amazing books..... In fact I can honestly say its one of those books that changes your mindset, and the way you perceive the world. This book did that to me, "Into The Wild". Since then Sean Penn has made a movie about it. But its all based off of letters from a guy by the name of Alex, who leaves everything has has for the sense of adventure. He starts a brand new identiy, and goes off to make the most out of life. Below, I typed up a letter he sent to one of his friends he made along the way of his adventure. I have since then read this letter several times, I think there are so many great lessons to be learned in it. And once again, this is the chalenge I am taking on this summer. This whole year I have been ingulfed so much into film, where I haven't had the chance to live for myself, and without that knowledge I loose my poser as a film maker to, because the strongest power that comes from film making is the abilitiy to tell stories of life that connect with others. That is my goal this summer, to begin that process once again of discovering my own self.









Here's the letter that Alex sent to his friend. It's a little long, but I promise its worth the read.

I’d like to repeat the advice I gave you before, in that I think you really should make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give ne peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, Ron, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty. And so, Ron, in short, get out of Salton City and hit the Road. I guarantee you will be very glad you did. But I fear that you will ignore my advice. You think that I am stubborn, but you are even more stubborn than me. You had a wonderful chance on your drive back to see one of the greatest sights on earth, the Grand Canyon, something every American should see at least once in his life. But for some reason incomprehensible to me you wanted nothing but to bolt for home as quickly as possible, right back to the same situation which you see day after day after day. I fear you will follow this same inclination o=in the future and thus fail to discover all the wonderful things that God has placed around us to discover. Don’t settle down and sit in one place. Move around, be nomadic, make each day a new horizon. You are still going to live a long time, Ron, and it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity to revolutionize your life and move into an entirely new realm of experience.
You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships. God has placed it all around us. It is in everything and anything we might experience. We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.
My point is that you do not need me or anyone else around to bring this new kind of light in your life. It is simply waiting out there for you to grasp it, and all you have to do is reach for it. The only person you are fighting is yourself and your stubbornness to engage in new circumstances.
Ron, I really hope that as soon as you can you will get out of Salton City, put a little camper on the back of your pickup, and start seeing some of the great work that God has done here in the American West. You will see things and meet people and there is much to learn from them. And you must do it economy style, no motels, do your own cooking, as a general rule spend as little as possible and you will enjoy it much more immensely. I hope that the next time I see you, you will be a new man with a vast array of new adventures and experiences behind you. Don’t hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it. Just get out and do it. You will be very, very glad that you did.
Take care Ron,
Alex

22 comments:

  1. I love the letter.. and I feel that it started even bigger passion for adventure inside of me...

    But I think it is not so easy to do it without money and alone..

    But I love the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin,
    It's amazing to see how many lives Into the Wild has changed. I saw the movie first and needed to know more about Chris' life. I devoured the book!

    Keep up your amazing work. You're definitely a source of inspiration as I am trying to find where to place myself in this world!

    Remember, "careers are an invention of the 21st century!" ~Alexander Supertramp

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sad Chris had to go a certain extreme to realize that "Happiness is only real when shared".

    This letter is simply magnificent. I want it to be framed in plain sight so that one day I will remember to do what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devin, Great post! I really look up to you as an inspirational person! I am a film student in LA and I have been watching your videos which have given me some inspiration and ideas for videos of my own videos! Keep of the good work! Also you should keep up with your blogging! I really have enjoyed reading your posts and I think you should keep writing them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited several web pages except the audio quality for audio ssongs existing at this web site is genuinely superb.
    pengobatan herbal batu empedu
    obat sakit ginjal
    cara mencegah tuberkulosis kambuh
    lama penyembuhan tb
    tanya jawab penyakit tb

    ReplyDelete
  6. شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة http://aayad.com/5znt-aayad-3201/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing in this article obat perangsang wanita , I can learn a lot and obat kuat pria could also be a reference I hope to read the next your article update

    ReplyDelete
  8. People are usually afraid of buying moonrock from local places because it could harm health at a severe level if taken improperly and low-quality products. For this reason, it is recommended to buy from the high-end quality store that ensures the quality of the product. Weeds and Carts care about the health of its consumers and produce the product considering enjoyment and relaxation. Most of the online stores are taking advantage of the users' needs and demanding their desired prices for this product. But we believe in making future relations with our customers, not in one-time profit-making. Dealing in Moonrock Week online is all about reliability. And that is what we are all about. We serve reliability to our customers in the form of our product so that they come to us for the second time whenever they wish to Buy Moonrock Weed Online. We are happy to serve our customers round the clock and we ensure you'll be utterly relaxed and satisfied with our overwhelming Moonrock Weed product.

    When it comes to Buy Moonrock Weed Online, our name comes on top in the list because of our unmatchable products. Get in touch with us and give us a chance to serve you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiring the best recruitment agency not only serves the purpose of employing you in a renowned company in an organized manner but also saves your time and proves cost-effective for you. The way of working, expertise in recruiting the best employee, simple process of searching the right aspirant, and vast experience of recruitment are some of the traits possessed by staffing firms. As investing a lot of time in hiring the best & talented staff for the company is completely not worthy. Being an employer and employee, you can save a lot of time and pay more attention to your core business and goals by taking help from experts.

    We are an immediate staffing solution where an employee gets a permanent role based on his capabilities and the performance of the specific period. We cater to all levels of projects and support roles in technology, consulting, and technology and this is what makes us best among the Top Recruitment Agencies in India. We focus on providing the entire assistance or guide to the aspirant, from the company’s expectation to its needs and demands.

    ReplyDelete